Monday, November 10, 2014

NYC Marathon Race - Part 2 - Pre-Race Saturday

Usually the day before a big race, especially a Marathon, each racer tries to keep off their feet and relax.  Included in this relaxation is a 30 minute shakeout run, to help build some confidence for the big race, and to get the blood flowing after tapering for the past three weeks.  I chose to run along side Saturday's Dash to the Finish Line 5k that NYRR sponsors, and that my lovely wife would be running in.  While a large portion of the racers were also running in the marathon, I chose to run outside of the race itself to keep me from trying to actually race it.  The run was cold and wet, but it felt good, and my body and foot felt up for tomorrows race. Sallie ended up with a PR for the race, finishing in 37:16, which was amazing.

Sallie waiting for the start of the 5k

Once we finished our run, it was time for breakfast.  Sallie wanted New York bagels, so we headed back to the hotel, via the subway, to a local bagel place.  This ended up taking 45 minutes, versus walking in the cold rain through Central Park, but we got our bagels, bananas and coffee, then headed to the hotel to relax.  Watching a few movies and napping was the name of the game until it was time for lunch.  Since we were meeting up with my father at 4:30pm at Penn Station, we decided to head to Grand Central Station via taxi for food and touristy stuff.  After a Hot chocolate, warm cookie, and a pizzette, we wandered around a bit to see the architecture and the Apple store in the middle of the station. 







On the way out, we grabbed some bagels for tonight and tomorrow morning, then jumped on a train to head over to the NHL store. I try to make a visit here every time I am in NYC, as it is difficult to find Buffalo Sabres gear in D.C.  While they didn't have the jacket I was looking for, I did get a winter hat for my mom, and Sallie got to experience the store, which was great.



It was then time to head to Penn Station.  On the way, we stopped by Time square for a quick selfie!



Once we linked up with my father, we wandered a few blocks to a pizza and pasta place for dinner.  We went over the plan for tomorrow, where they would be cheering at, and where we would meetup at the end of the race.  At the table adjacent to us, two women were talking about a lunch with Ryan Hall, and his thoughts on the race.  We joined in on the discussion, talking about the expected wind, the 59th street bridge, starting waves, and when we were getting to Staten Island.  One thing she relayed from her discussion with Ryan was a point about the draining qualities of the 59th street bridge, but assured her that the roar of the 1st Ave crowd echoing through the end of the bridge would get you charged again.

We said our goodbyes and good luck to the women on the race tomorrow, and headed back to the hotel.  I didn't do as much resting as I would have wanted, but we rarely get to NYC, so why waste the chance for my wife and I do see some of the sites.  Once we got back to the hotel, I spent the next hour getting everything prepared and set out for the race, then headed to bed, concerned, nervous, and excited for tomorrows race.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great day, especially Sallie's 5k PR! Looking forward to reading your analysis of the race.

    ReplyDelete